Festival to capture the innovative, entrepreneurial spirit of Dublin
Next week, the innovative and entrepreneurial spirit of the Dublin city region will be celebrated across more than 300 separate events, such as conferences, competitions, talks, tours, debates, exhibitions and workshops.
As part of the Innovation Dublin 2010 festival, the entrepreneurial spirit of the city will be on show and many events are free.
In its second year, Innovation Dublin is a Creative Dublin Alliance project and is being co-ordinated by Dublin City Council.
“Between Wednesday 10th and Sunday 21st November, businesses, small and large, as well as entrepreneurs, will promote new ideas and fresh initiatives to transform business and boost creativity,” says Lord Mayor Gerry Breen.
“Artists and performers will celebrate creativity and inspiration and it’s this mix of people, their ideas and their events that helps to make Dublin a smarter city. The willingness of the people involved in innovation to share their knowledge and expertise with all of us makes it well worth getting involved and supporting it.”
Among the more than 300 events taking place between 10-21 November are:
- Globe Forum Dublin (in the Dublin Convention Centre) will turn the international spotlight on Ireland’s unique talent for research, innovation and global change leadership.
- IBM SmartCamp Global Final to find the World’s Smartest Start-Up, bringing together entrepreneurs, investors and experienced mentors who want to build a Smarter Planet. Innovation Dublin will host the Global Final from the winners of the SmartCamps held in Stockholm, Boston, Tel Aviv, London, Silicon Valley, Paris and Odense.
- Business in the Community will host a summit on Corporate Responsibility (in the Aviva Stadium) presenting inspirational thinking from the world’s largest, most innovative companies and practical workshops on how responsible and sustainable business practices can transform your business.
- The inaugural Life Sciences International Summit will take place in Croke Park in Dublin, organised by the Business & Finance Media Group, with SFI, IDA Ireland and Enterprise Ireland as associate partners. This one-day event will bring together world-renowned opinion leaders and industry experts to discuss and debate the key elements critical to one of Ireland's most innovative sectors.
- UCD’s Innovation Research Unit is hosting a conference, The Cultural Dimensions of Innovation, to analyse the socio-cultural forces which shape the economic, technological and political innovation agenda.
- ESB will drive people around the city in their eCars to promote their vision of 10pc of cars being electric by 2020.
- The Education 2.0 Seminar, hosted by South Dublin County Council, will look at the changing classroom and how technology can support learning in the 21st century, by sharing the lessons of the Connect School project in St Aidan’s Community School in Brookfield, Tallaght, now in its fifth year.
“Innovation Dublin 2010 will showcase, promote, and stimulate innovation and creativity in the city,” said John Tierney, Dublin City Manager. It’s about connecting ideas with opportunities and everyone is invited to get involved”
To learn more go to Innovation Dublin 2010's website.